Thursday, January 24, 2013

So Do Good, and To Hell With Them

By Dan Hagen
Perhaps the proudest moment of my journalistic career came a week or so after the U.S. invasion of Iraq, when I was editor of a small-town midwestern newspaper. I wrote a column titled "History Will Judge Us" in which I said that the invasion was a horrendous, unjustified error that would kill hundreds of thousands of people needlessly, and a war that would continue for years and was based on false claims.
A surging tide of accusations that I was a "traitor" washed over me in letters to the editor. I had expected them.
A decade later, everything I wrote has been proven true, and every letter that denounced me has been proven to have been written by a blind fool.

1 comment:

  1. Justification to oppose the war was proven true BEFORE the war by the most reliable sources. And many people knew it; at the time I had stopped paying attention to the news for the most part because I was so frustrated that it was so damn pathetic but I knew that the WMDs was a crock of shit because before I stopped paying attention I remembered the first reports including from several sources on top of Scott Ritter who presented credible stories. When Colin went to the UN what was left of his reputation was flushed down the toilet.

    It's only the propaganda that made it seem justified; those that know how to recognize it which I thought was easy must have had doubts. This should raise major doubts about our education system that didn't warn many people to recognize this.

    ReplyDelete