Monday, November 19, 2012

Nearer, My Quad, to Thee


By Dan Hagen
Old Main photo by Janice Hunt
Crossing with the pedestrian light at 4th and Lincoln this morning, I was nearly run down. And yes, my last sight would have been the one I have been expecting to see for a decade now — a wide-eyed woman behind a windshield, talking on her goddamned cell phone. I gave her a good scowl and took a mindful breath, determined to let the sight of the campus relax me.
Walking to my campus office in the early morning over a holiday break, moving alone across that stately vastness utterly emptied of people, is an experience that seems symbolic of something existential, a mute question for which I have no answer. The only movement is the gamboling of squirrels, the only sound birdsong and the occasional rich, welcome toll of a bell tower.
I’d liken it to the opening of some Stephen King novel, but the feeling is friendlier and weightier than that. It’s like an abandoned park where children once played long into the dusk, or some afterthought of an afterlife.

No comments:

Post a Comment