Thursday, August 4, 2016

How One Handles Bullies

“Cowards need someone to pick on,” Robert Reich wrote. “I know that from personal experience. When I was a boy, I was smaller than the rest of the kids — and many times I was teased and taunted.
Michael Schwerner
“I remember summers in a small town in upstate New York, and I remember a boy who was a few years older than me, a boy named Mickey, who protected me from bullying and gave me some very precious advice. He told me that the bullies could not really hurt me if I was stronger inside than they were inside. He told me that brutish anger is no match for calm determination. And although he perished a decade later, his determination did, in the end, triumph. His full name was Michael Schwerner. He was murdered by a cowardly group of racists in June 1964 as he and James Chaney and Andrew Goodman, also murdered, tried to register voters in Mississippi.”
Those murderers’ moral heirs are still around, now supporting Trump so they can “take their country back” from all the people they don’t want voting.

No comments:

Post a Comment