Monday, October 5, 2015

Dan Hagen, Time Master


DC Comics' Showcase 26 from May-June 1960, at right, has cover art by Joe Kubert.
Within a half-century span, comic books can effectively operate as limited-range time machines for me.
Because I loved them so much when I was young, just reading a Silver Age story can take me back to that precise moment in that spring of 1960 when I was 5 and the world’s colors all seemed as vivid as those four in the comics, or that autumn of 1962 when I was 7 and the civilization of the planet Earth actually faced destruction, or that January of 1966 when I was 11 and one of my superheroes was, wonder of wonders, suddenly the biggest hit on television.
So reading a feature like Rip Hunter, Time Master is an ironic experience in seeing time, both real and fictional, collapse upon itself, something like one of those paintings of an infinite regression…

No comments:

Post a Comment